The Nanaimo Brain Injury Society is a registered non profit
society and registered charitable organization. We are a
progressive society providing support, education and
rehabilitation to people living with brain injury since 1988.
NBIS aspires to a world where neurological health
is nurtured, and where full and active citizenship is attainable
NBIS fosters opportunity and self-determination
with those affected by Acquired Brain Injury.
Since the inception of NBIS in the 1970s we have sought to
influence an environment where health for all citizens is
- We believe all people are entitled to claim their identity.
- Within our organizational culture we strive to be fully
responsive, open and accountable.
- We believe that it is the right of all persons to lead a life
with dignity and satisfaction.
- We believe that our role is to assist people to find and build
upon their wealth of strengths.
- We believe that people have power to direct their lives within a
community and society.
- We collaborate to effect a barrier-free climate, relationships,
resources and procedures through which people can enhance their
We believe that
positive interpersonal relationships can mutually transform
- We strive to act collaboratively and consistently with NBIS’
- We strive to be hopeful, honest and compassionate in what we do,
say and how we interact.
- We strive to be responsible for our collective and individual
- We strive to reach decisions democratically.
- We welcome, listen to and serve clients, families and
- We believe approachability and inclusivity are paramount in all
our internal and external dealings.
We challenge ourselves to be dynamic and maintain the highest
performance in learning, leadership and support in order to
achieve the highest impact.
Bylaws and Constitution
The original Bylaws and Constitution of NBIS have
been serving the agency for twenty seven years, without change.
With a new Societies Act for BC progressing through the
legislature, and a recognition that the scope and complexity of
our organization has inevitably changed since incorporation,
NBIS is undertaking a complete review of these documents.
Recommendations arising from the review will be presented to the
membership over the coming twelve months.
For existing bylaws click HERE
For revised bylaws 16 May click HERE
For constitution click HERE